There must be a sale. Either that or there has been a major colonic breakthrough on the news that I've missed by being stuck in the gym for the past week. I've had at least a dozen juicing recipes emails from my readers regarding colon cleansing, asking about or touting its' benefits, or inquiring as to how it can help them to lead a healthier life.
What is a colon cleanse? Well it's really simple. Since the colon is essential to your well being - for the elimination of toxins and your bodies waste products - it is a bodily function that gets a lot of wear and tear (not literally of course). The smaller intestine is situated below the stomach and liver and is the major part of our digestive tract. Now this statistic may just blow you away, but did you know that the total surface of the gastrointestinal system is about six thousand square feet? Yep, I am not joking.
So one would think that a set of organs so massive would need some sort of regular cleaning to work at optimum capacity, and one would, of course, be right. When we are overloaded with toxins, our glandular and immune systems are suppressed, which lowers our normal temperature and our craving for water. Bad bacteria thrive in the intestines and produce ammonia, which lowers the pH. The lower pH in the colon or intestinal tract creates an environment for parasites. I could go on, but is that really necessary? You should be running to my handy and helpful juices and links already since I mentioned the words "parasite" and "intestine" in the same sentence.
As an FYI, here's some reasons why juicing recipes can help ease any persistent nightmares about aliens growing inside your stomach.
- Carrots can help an inflamed colon.
- the skin of apple contains pectin, which help remove noxious substances from the system. Pectin helps to prevent protein matter in the intestines from spoiling.
- The juice of a lemon is a natural antiseptic, it will help destroy harmful bacteria.
- Celery has been known to help in diseases of the kidneys, pancreas, liver and gallbladder.
- Cucumbers contain Erepsin, an enzyme that helps to digest protein.
- Honey is just a great super food and contains many nutrients that help your digestive tract in many ways.
Colon Cleansing "Power Juice" Recipe
- 1 red apple
- 1 medium size carrot
- 5 slices of cucumber
- 1 stalk of celery (optional)
- 1 big glass of cold water
- 1 tbsp of honey or 1 tsp of muscovado sugar
- A juice from one lemon if you want a sour flavor or 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar.
Mix the apple (the greener, the better), stalk of celery, carrot, five slices of cucumber, lemon juice and honey or sugar in your juicer (or a blender) with ice cold water. Puree into a shake.
Drink immediately before it oxidizes.
recipe courtesy Forever @ Colon-Cleansing-Power-Juice-Recipe
You may also consider a colonic irrigation, or visit one of the many spas that caters to colon cleansing. All in all, it is extremely important to keep your intestines healthy. Although the subject of your colon may conjure up all sorts of embarrassing problems or potential compromising situations, the methods you can use to maintain a healthy digestive tract are really not that intrusive, and the benefits are great and many. So run off now, make that juicing recipe, and give your colon a break.